What’s Your Number?
A business plan can often be a lengthy and complicated document. However, a business plan in essence boils down to one thing – a number.
It could be how much you want to earn, how many new clients you want to attract or a particular sales target.
So this coming New Year consider trying a different approach.
Choose a target number for your business and then do the following 6 things to help you achieve it.
1. Aim high – check that your number is inspiring and that it’s also a bit of a stretch for you. You may be surprised by how much you can achieve when you expand the possibilities!
2. Set a timeframe – setting a deadline makes your number a reality. You now have a date to work towards and this will focus your efforts on achieving it.
3. Make plans – work out what you need to do to achieve your number. A good way to do this is to break it down into what you need to do either daily or weekly and remember to keep it short and simple. Just list what you need to do (e.g: how many calls you need to make, how many clients you need to see, what new marketing activities do you need to do, etc.). The best plans are the short ones because they are easy to remember and implement!
4. Display your number – keeping your number top of mind is key to achieving it. Put it somewhere where you will see it every day (e.g: your computer desktop background, the lock screen on your mobile phone, your bathroom mirror, the fridge) anywhere and everywhere that will remind you of it. You’ll be amazed by how well this works.
5. Question your daily activities – if you or your staff are doing activities that are not contributing towards your number then seriously reconsider them. Obviously there are legal and administration items that we have to do but it’s amazing what we hang onto sometimes – make sure you let go of anything that’s not going to help you achieve your number.
6. Share your number – if you feel comfortable share your number with the people you know will support you. Their support will keep you motivated and excited about your number and they might even be able to help you achieve it!
Make a New Year resolution this year to keep your business plan simple and focused. Choose your target number, follow the checklist above and you will have an exciting and productive plan for the year ahead!